1. The puking frenzy (seen above, demonstrated by Adam Dyet). For some reason everyone was throwing up. I had a five count on the number of times Torey Pudwell spewed during one of his runs. And after Adam Dyet stuck his kickflip back tail, which would later win him 10K for Best Trick, he ran off the course to water the grass with the contents of his stomach. I think the phenomenon had something to do with the heat, the alcohol being consumed everywhere and the fact that Carl’s Jr catered the event.
2. The girls. Skate contests usually lack a decent supply of hot chicks. The only girls that are usually there are jail bait, lets face it there aren’t too many adult women that are into skateboarding. It’s not like surfing where they get to go to the beach. This year though, the Maloofs brought the vageen to skateboarding. I don’t know if they shipped them in from Vegas or what, but I do have a hunch…The money. There’s usually one thing that follows money more than anything.
3. Dennis Busenitz and Tony Trujillo. These two guys skate so fast, and just make the craziest lines, it’s fucking rad to watch.
4. Smolik’s tre flip to fakie on the bank section of the mega-vert, that nearly went down. While everyone was watching the Street contest, Smolik was trying it over and over. He just about had it, when the contest staff kicked him off because he didn’t sign the waiver, since he wasn’t in the contest.
5. The course. Just like last year it was insane. The Maloofs do a great job of letting skateboarders like Geoff Rowley design it.
6. Lizard King, Adam Dyet, Tommy Sandoval, David Gonzalez, Corey Duffel and Ryan Sheckler going huge. Lizard just about had a backside flip over the big rail, which Geoff Rowley put up $500 out of his own pocket to see go down. Duffel ollied from the Rincon rail area, over the biggest fucking gap. Tommy was getting close to a backsde 50-50 across the big wall to drop-in into the Brooklyn Banks area.
7. Torey Pudwill turning skateboard industry heads. The 19-year-old made it apparent he’s one of the next big things. He finished 4th, and the talk amongst the riders afterward was he was robbed.
8. Being able to enter the fair through the back area, and not be searched. Allowing me to bring a backpack full of beer, because as you may know, everyday at the OC Fair is $9 beer day.
9. Not hearing a single Michael Jackson song. I’m so fucking tired hearing MJ songs everywhere I go. Nothing against him, but everything against all the DJs that go for the cheap hype by playing them.
10. Having my backpack stolen from the rider and industry area, when I went to shoot some photos, there’s always a creeper. Congratulations asshole, you got a sweaty pair of cut jeans, a really sweaty Deathwish shirt, 3 Pabst tall cans and a backpack that has gotten pretty creepy. You better wash that thing out. It was a Volcom backpack with Mark Appleyard’s art on it. If you have have it and didn’t steal it, it’s mine email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.