The never-ending stream of snowboard teasers is still flowing, and this week we were bombarded by Nike, Roxy, and Quiksilver with their very different releases of trailers that collectively had us shaking in our boots. If these edits don't motivate you to go pull on your outerwear and run around the house, we don't know what will.
"Nike Snowboarding Project," Nike Snow: Nike has upped the ante as usual with their 2012 "Nike Snowboarding Project," which will include three different chapters of edits, with each chapter worked on by different filmmakers and featuring different heavy-hitting snowboarders. Filmmakers Joe Carlino (Nike Action), Brad Kremer (Burton and Mack Dawg), and Justin Hostynek (Absinthe Films) worked on the first chapter, which is being released Oct. 16. The teaser below is a little preview to all three perspectives and provides a glimpse of what each filmmaker was working with. They've covered all their bases with riders slaying the backcountry, taking over terrain parks, and charging the streets. All together the project features riders Johnnie Paxson, Jess Kimura, Halldor Helgason, Justin Bennee, Jed Anderson, Sage Kotsenburg, Louie Vito, Gjermund Braaten, Jamie Nicholls, Danny Kass, Ethan Morgan, Jan Scherrer, Peetu Piiroinen, Austin Smith, Gigi Ruf, Nicolas Muller, Danny Kass, and Eric Jackson. A little bit of a mouthful, wouldn't you say?
"Wanderlust," Roxy Snowboarding/Peepshow Films: Roxy and Peepshow have joined lady forces and created one hell of a chick flick. The handful of rippers in "Wanderlust" provides us with so many dynamic and different riding skills that when smashed together, it creates a ridiculous and amazing ball of shredding. Peepshow is known for technical and stylish urban riding while Roxy's team gets us in the halfpipe, park, and big mountain riding. "Wanderlust" looks to highlight all sides of women's snowboarding as well as offer a simple vibe of fun and camaraderie. It features riders Torah Bright, Erin Comstock, Robin Van Gyn, Corinne Pasela, Joanie Robichaud, Danyale Patterson, Ty Walker, and Kjersti Buaas.
"Quiksilver Team Montage," Quiksilver Snowboarding: Although this isn't technically a teaser, per say, it still got us as giddy as a 15-year-old girl ogling Justin Bieber. Riders Bryan Fox, Will Lavigne, Travis Rice, Danimals, Johnny Brady, Ted Borland, Alex Beebe, Matt Belzile, and Jake Olson-Elm get together in this team montage, get after it, and paint a perfect snowboarding picture with their different styles and abilities. Urban, big mountain, parks--you name it, and they've got it.
It seems like you can never go wrong with a snowboard trip to British Columbia. Every edit that results from any time spent in places like Revelstoke and Retallack are enough to make any shredder combust with jealousy.
Cue the Roxy team with the latest video of the 2011/12 season of Roxy Refreshments. Torah Bright, Erin Comstock, Kjersti Buaas, and Aimee Fuller have endless powder fields all to themselves on this team trip to BC. The ladies rode under dumping skies and also scored some perfect bluebird days. I'd say that's a successful trip to Canada.
If you weren't in Argentina this summer, you blew it. Plain and simple. This winter in the Southern Hemi was one of the best to date with endless pow and incredible conditions. Robin Van Gyn and Erin Comstock got in on the goods and hosting their own signature Roxy Women's session at SGT: Argentina.
Read on for their top 10 moments in Argentina.
Words: Robin Van Gyn
There are not many places that I would take four days of travel to get to, but Bariloche, Argentina is one of them.
Yes, it took us 4 days, but once we got there we totally forgot about the travel hell and immediately starting riding pow and soaking in the SGT hot pool with old friends. Stoked that SGT invited Erin and I back for the Roxy Women's Session this year, and we did our best to pack in as much as we could in our 2 week stint at Cerro Catedral.
We rode a lot of powder, hiked our butts off, ate a lot of meat and hyped the Roxy session with a signature parilla dinner and a girls snowboard video premiere at Mute featuring Peep Show's "Winter Wars" and Standard Films "The Storming". It took another 3 days of traveling to get home, and I acquired "the funk," but I still cant wait to get back to SGT: Argentina next year.
Here are my top ten moments:
1. Getting to lie down in a bed after 4 days of travel at SGT headquarters.
2. Hopping into "Man Soup" (the hot tub) to balance the ph and to get aquatinted with the staff and the camp gossip.
3. Going on a sneaky jib mission to the junk yard with Erin and Ben Girardi (Sir Lands-a-lot) to get some shots for the 2012/13 Roxy Catalog. Ben might be the most mellow photog I have ever worked with and always gets the shot.
4. Hosting the SGT girls at a Roxy dinner at Rodeo. Best freaking meat ever: Medalions de Bife, Ojo de Bife, Morcilla, Chorizo, Cerdo. You might not know what that is now, but trust me if you ever got to Argentina and go out for Parilla, just order whats listed here.
5. Waking up to two feet of fresh outside our window. Crazy powder day. No one was on the mountain and we got untracked turns till the last run of the day. Also riding powder with girls who have never experienced anything like it was really rewarding. Those smiles weren't wiped for days!
6. The day after the major dump and getting up to Laguna for first tracks of the upper bowl. It took an hour to break trail up there, but it was totally worth it.
7. Cooking dinner with Niki Shleckta and Erin in the kitchen of the mountain night club (Mute) at 12am. It was interesting... we had Milanesa and pasta, seemed delicious at the time.
8. Doing a "Winter Wars" premier at Mute with the help of our friend Sabrina (orchestrater of Chicas Only). It was wild to say the least, it definately helped that there was free champagne.
9. Giving away a Roxy Ally to a very deserving Argentine...she was crying, it was awesome.
10. Starting the countdown to next year at SGT once I arrived on home soil. Best two weeks of the summer, hands down. 361 days to go!
Erin Comstock's Top Ten Moments:
1. Being invited back to SGT for a Roxy session.
2. Having 8 camper girls show up and showing them an awesome time!Including a sweet Roxy dinner!
3. Winning the Billabong Big Air Contest
4. Not making any money at the Billabong Big Air because I am female. Yes, they paid up to the top 10 Men! (but not Erin!)
5. Working with Ben Girardi and Robin Van Gyn to get 2013 action shots for the Roxy Catalog. It was the best Catalog shoot ever. No stress and Robin is awesome to ride with!
6, Having the best powder day ever down there. Riding from 9:30 till 3 with no tracks! I missed that last year when I went because I was fresh out of shoulder surgery. This year was awesome!
7. Making my first ever split-board! Still have not used it but I definitely will this winter!
8. Watching the majority of the girls shred powder for the first time.
9.Eating a lot of meat! I love the asados down in Argentina!
10. Having an all girl video premiere at Mute. We showed Peep Show's "Winter Wars" and Standard's "The Storming." It was crazy to see how into the movies everyone was. They had never scene women ride that well! And We gave away a Roxy snowboard to an Argentine and she was the happiest girl I have ever seen!
It made the whole trip worth it to see the smiles on the girls faces! Can't wait for next year!
Just in time for our summer shred camp preview, South America Snow Sessions has revealed dates for their exclusive Roxy Women's Session in Bariloche, Argentina.
If you're eager to shred big lines while learning from your favorite Roxy pros, then this session is for you.
Robin Van Gyn and Erin Comstock are veterans in the Argentine shred scene and are more than stoked to be hosting this signature session.
There are two sessions you can choose from August 20th- September 3rd, so head over to the SASS website for all the details.
Check out the Roxy Refreshment's Argentina Antics to see what went down last year during a similar session.
GrindTV Newswire via SASS: HAMPTON, NH, May 24 -- SASS Global Travel is proud to announce the launch of the 2011 Roxy Women's Session at its SASS Argentina operation, taking place in Bariloche, Argentina from August 20th to September 3rd, 2011. With Roxy athletes Robin Van Gyn and Erin Comstock coaching in addition to SASS's already stellar coaching and guiding staff, the Roxy Women's Session is focused on getting women riders into the backcountry and improving every aspect of their snowboarding, from jumping to steeps and trees and everything in between.
SASS Argentina has been at the forefront of progression in the women's freeride movement for years with its programs designed specifically for female riders, and is proud to have Roxy on board as its partner for the 2011 Women's Session. "We had the whole Roxy team down last year and they had an amazing time," said SASS Global Travel Director Travis Moore. "We're very happy to be bringing Robin and Erin back from the Roxy crew to coach an awesome group of women this year." SASS and Roxy will be putting together not only an awesome freeride coaching and guiding program, but will have a number of signature events going on during the Session like the Chicas Only slopestyle contest and a Women in the Industry seminar. "SASS is the most unique program I've ever been to," says Roxy's Women's Session coach Erin Comstock. "You're in the middle of winter, hitting cliffs, jumps, and powder. It's a camp for backcountry - that's pretty awesome!"
The Roxy Women's Session runs from August 20th to September 3rd, and riders can pick either week (August 20th-27th or 27th-Sept. 3rd) or both - perfect timing for the biggest dumps of the Southern Hemi season, especially the infamous Santa Rosa storm. Starting at $1995/week, Women's Session riders will have access to all of SASS Argentina's amenities, including slopeside lodging, daily breakfast and dinner, a backcountry awareness course, 24/7 support, local airport transfers, and discounted airfare through LAN Airlines in addition to the women-specific coaching, guiding, and activities. More details and booking information is available online at www.sassglobaltravel.com/argentina/roxy.
The Roxy Chicken Jam might seem like it was ages ago but after the storm that decided to take over Mammoth and the event - Roxy still had an entirely different contest to judge.
With slopestyle getting completely axed due to zero visibility and high winds - the riders were instead provided with a GoPro camera and told to get some epic footage with what Mother Nature was giving them - loads and loads of powder. When provided with the option of park verse powder - I'm hoping most people would get stoked on the latter as much as these chicks did.
The winners of this video contest have been announced and the esteemed title of the Roxy Powder Jam winning team goes to Ty Walker, Erin Comstock, and Kimmy Fasani. While Erin Comstock and Kimmy Fasani have been in the snowboard world for quite some time and have been steadily killing it - Ty Walker is one of Roxy's youngest team riders at 14-years-old. This being said, Ty Walker took home the top individual prize of $5,000 after cleanly stomping a cab 540 into waist deep pow. Big things ahead for this little lady. The winning amateur team was made up of Mariah Dugan, Natsuki Sato, and Michelle Zeller.
Since the contest was all-around out of fashion, Roxy also gave a bonus prize away for the most entertaining footage which went to Torah Bright, Chanelle Sladics, and Celia Miller. This may be solely based on the fact that they got a hold of a cupcake and smashed it in Todd Richards face during an interview with Trouble Andrew.
Alright, that's a wrap. Wonder if next year's event can out do this one. Check the footy below: