Friday at Margaret River for the 2011 Telstra Drug Aware Pro provided even more shock and awe than the macking day before had. An unheard of New Zealander by the name of Billy Stairmand took out 10x World Champ Kelly Slater, much to the chagrin of Slates. “I wasn’t expecting anything,” said an elated Billy. “I just wanted to go out and have fun and make the most of having a man-on-man heat with Kelly Slater. Now I’m the happiest I’ve ever been—I feel like I won the contest!”
But that wasn’t all. Taj Burrow was surely the on-point surfer of the day, dropping 17+ points in his victory over Kai Otton, then dropping a 10 and an 8 in the 12-man no losers round. It shows that local knowledge in lumpy conditions at a tricky place like Margaret River pays off—plus Taj is surfing the best he ever has (it seems we say that each year, and yet still no World Title…). Julian Wilson also silenced any remaining critics knocking out Parko and then Mick.
With only one day of competition remaining, things look like they’ll be crowning champs Saturday as the swell is predicted to drop significantly, allowing everyone to take those shortboards back out. Watch all the action live at telstradrugawarepro.com.
Women’s ASP 6-Star Telstra Drug Aware Pro Quarterfinals Match Ups:
1. Sage Erickson (USA) V Jessi Miley-Dyer (AUS)
2. Felicity Palmateer (AUS) V Silvana Lima (BRA)
3. Rebecca Woods (AUS) V Claire Bevilacqua (AUS)
4. Paige Hareb (NZ) V Courtney Conlogue (USA)
Men’s ASP PRIME Telstra Drug Aware Pro Match Ups:
1. Granger Larsen (HAW) V Marc Lacomare (France)
2. Damien Hobgood (USA) V Jadson Andre (BRA)
3. Yadin Nicol (AUS) V Julian Wilson (AUS)
4. Taj Burrow (AUS) V Willian Cardosa (BRA)
Head to the next page for the official ASP press release.