Men’s ASP World Title Scenarios
ASP World Title in Play at Upcoming Rip Curl Pro Portugal
SUPERTUBOS, Peniche/Portugal (Sunday, October 6, 2013) – The world’s best surfers are currently converging on the sand-bottom barrels of Supertubos for the second and final stop of the ASP’s European leg, the Rip Curl Pro Portugal presented by Moche from October 9 – 20, 2013.
Stop No. 9 of 10 on the 2013 ASP World Championship Tour (WCT), the Rip Curl Pro Portugal will host the world’s best surfers as they battle for reqaulification for next season’s elite tour as well as this year’s world surfing crown.
Heading into Portugal, there remain five contenders for the 2013 ASP World Title: Mick Fanning (AUS), 32, Kelly Slater (USA), 41, Jordy Smith (ZAF), 25, Taj Burrow (AUS), 35, and Joel Parkinson (AUS), 32. Only Fanning can clinch the crown in Portugal.
If Fanning wins the event:
– Slater will need a 3rd or better to take the title decision to Hawaii.
– Smith, Burrow and Parkinson will be out of the race.
If Fanning finishes Runner-Up in Portugal:
– Slater will need a 9th or better to take the title decision to Hawaii.
– Smith will need to win the event to take the title decision to Hawaii.
– Burrow and Parkinson will be out of the race.
If Fanning finishes 3rd in Portugal:
– Slater will need a 9th or better to take the title decision to Hawaii
– Smith, Burrow and Parkinson will need to win the event to take the title decision to Hawaii.
If Fanning finishes 5th or worse in Portugal:
– The ASP World Title decision will go to Hawaii as, even with a 25th in Portugal, Slater can still win in Hawaii.
In addition to the hunt for the 2013 ASP World Title, the battle for requalification amongst the world’s elite is heating up as well. With two events remaining on this season’s calendar, the action promises to be dramatic and dynamic in Portugal.
Magicseaweed, official forecasters for the Rip Curl Pro Portugal, are calling for a four-to-six foot (1.5 – 2 metre) swell to be on tap for the opening day of the window. The Rip Curl Pro Portugal will run from October 9 – 20, 2013 and will be webcast LIVE via www.live.ripcurl.com. For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com