O’Neill Coldwater Classic Wildcards Named
2013 O’Neill Coldwater Classic Invitational Wildcards Awarded; Field Finalized
SANTA CRUZ, Calif., Oct. 7, 2013 – Six surfers have earned wildcards into the 2013 O’Neill Coldwater Classic Invitational, the latest incarnation of the longest running North American surf contest. The event has a holding period of November 6-10, 2013 at Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz, California.
More than 3,500 votes were cast in a public online poll, which determined Quinn McCrystal (with 24 percent of the vote), Billy Hopkins (19 percent), Andrew Jacobson (17 percent), and Noi Kaulukukui (15 percent) as four of the six wildcards. The remaining 25 percent of the vote was split between Kilian Garland, Chris Foster, Kalani Robb and Dylan Goodale, who were finalists in the video contest, but did not earn enough public votes to advance.
Jeremy Johnston and Shaun Burns were named the final two wildcards by O’Neill to round out the 16-man field of competitors.
The mostly unsponsored surfers will vie for a “winner take all” grand prize yearlong sponsorship including travel incentives and contest fees from O’Neill Wetsuits valued at $50,000. All 16 of the surfers have one thing in common, none has a major sponsor and this grand prize could change their life affording them the rare opportunity to spend a full year competing on the World Qualifying Series circuit and chasing their World Tour dreams.
The complete 16-man roster includes:
1. Andrew Jacobson, 18, Malibu, CA (public vote wildcard)
2. Noi Kaulukukui, 32, Santa Cruz, CA (public vote wildcard)
3. Billy Hopkins, 21, Huntington Beach, CA (public vote wildcard)
4. Quinn McCrystal, 23, Huntington Beach, CA (public vote wildcard)
5. Jeremy Johnston, 27, New Smyrna Beach, FL (O’Neill wildcard)
6. Shaun Burns, 21, Santa Cruz, CA (O’Neill wildcard)
7. Stu Kennedy, 23, AUS (invited)
8. Granger Larsen, 23, HAW (invited)
9. Wade Carmichael, 20, AUS (invited)
10. Torrey Meister, 25, HAW (invited)
11. Hank Gaskell, 27, HAW (invited)
12. Dion Atkinson, 27, AUS (invited)
13. Shaun Joubert, 22, ZAF (invited)
14. Ricardo Christie, 24, NZ (invited)
15. Chris Waring, 26, Huntington Beach, CA (invited)
16. Cory Arrambide, 24, Santa Barbara, CA (invited)
Learn more and follow all of the action at www.oneill.com/cwc/
Special thanks to Futures Fins, Watermans Sunscreen, Banzai Bowls, Sierra Nevada, Hotel Paradox, East Side Eatery and Surfline for supporting the 2013 O’Neill Coldwater Classic Invitational.
O’Neill, the original California surf, snow and lifestyle brand, was founded in 1952 when a young man named Jack O’Neill took his unstoppable passion for surfing and used it to battle Mother Nature. Jack’s initial vision of producing functional and innovative board riding products continues to lie at the core of everything the company does. From the first neoprene surf wetsuit and board leash to the world’s first stitchless board shorts. O’Neill will always be committed to growing its reputation as one of the world’s leading youth lifestyle brands based on being the First Name in the water.
While many things have changed since those humble beginnings, Jack’s initial vision of producing functional and innovative board riding products continues to lie at the core of everything the company does. O’Neill’s core values — innovation in style and technology — have seen the brand devote itself wholeheartedly to the evolution of the action sports lifestyle. From the first ever neoprene wetsuit and leash, to the world’s first stitchless boardshorts and range of groundbreaking wearable electronics, O’Neill’s progressive spirit will always drive the company forward. For more information, please visit oneill.com/wetsuits