Surfparks LLC announced the launch of its website today — surfparks.com — to introduce a series of purpose-built surfing facilities planned for development. The first Surfpark to create perfect, barreling salt-water waves is estimated to debut in early 2005 at Festival Bay at International Drive in Orlando, Florida.
Perfect Surf in a Pool?
A Surfpark uses three new technologies to generate perfect surf in a consistent, controlled environment:
1. The Groundswell wave system efficiently creates up to six waves per minute with adjustable wave heights up to eight feet. WaveTek/Aquatic Development Group, the leader in wave-equipment manufacturing and waterpark design, developed the Groundswell specifically for surfing.
2. The patent pending Wedge pool design, developed by the surfer-scientists at ASR Ltd., is designed to compress wave energy along converging walls to maintain wave height and power through the full length of the ride.
3. The patent-pending Versareef, also developed by ASR, is a padded, computer-adjustable pool floor that changes contour at the press of a button. The Versareef can be programmed to create a near infinite variety of wave shapes, keeping the Surfpark experience fresh.
Ron Jon Surf Shop Partners With Surfparks LLC for the Ron Jon SurfparkSM, OrlandoSurfparks LLC recently entered into a licensing agreement with Ron Jon Surf Shop, the surf retail powerhouse headquartered in Cocoa Beach, FL, to utilize the Ron Jon brand for the Orlando Surfpark. Ron Jon is also an investor in the Surfpark and will operate the Surfpark Pro Shop, which will stock Ron Jon’s famously deep selection of surfing and bodyboarding equipment.
“Ron Jon Surf Shop has been exploring the idea of a Surfpark for some time, said Ed Moriarty, president of Ron Jon Surf Shop. “It’s a natural complement to the Ron Jon store at Festival Bay, and we can’t think of a more exciting way to bring the beach lifestyle to Orlando than to provide the experience of riding consistently perfect waves.
Surfpark executives are delighted to have Ron Jon on board as a partner.”I can think of no better partner for an Orlando Surfpark than Ron Jon Surf Shop, said Surfparks co-founder Jamie Meiselman. “The store’s management skills are unquestionable, its marketing resources are perfectly aligned to reach the Surfpark customer, and the Ron Jon brand visibility, both in Florida and beyond, is legendary. Lopez Brothers Headline Surfparks Pro Team
Top Professional Surfers, Cory and Shea Lopez have taken the lead over thousands of Florida surfers eager to ride the waves at the Surfpark, having signed on as the first members of the elite Surfparks Pro Team. When not competing on the ASP World Championship Tour, Cory and Shea will use the Ron Jon Surfpark as a training base. They will also act as Surfparks’ professional ambassadors, equivalent to resident PGA Golf Pros, and lead customized high performance surf clinics for aspiring surfers. “It will be a lot easier to stay in Florida between events with a world-class wave down the street,” said Shea.
For Cory, the Surfpark is a dream come true. “I’m super stoked. I can’t wait to surf it,” said the younger Lopez brother. “The idea of a perfect, repeatable wave has been my dream for years.
What to Expect
The Ron Jon SurfparkSM is scheduled to debut at Festival Bay, a 1.1 million-square-foot mall and entertainment complex located in the heart of Orlando’s theme park, entertainment and retail zone on International Drive at the intersection of I-4 and the Florida Turnpike. Festival Bay is anchored by Bass Pro Shops, Ron Jon Surf Shop, Vans Skatepark and the Cinemark 20 Theatres.
Key features planned for the Ron Jon SurfparkSM, Orlando will include:
• The Big Pool: For intermediate to pro-level surfers and bodyboarders, with wave height from four to eight feet, and ride length from 60 to 100 yards.
• The Training Pool: Forr beginner and novice wave riders, features three- to four-foot waves with 25- to 35-yard rides.
• A Flowrider†°: For those who want an instant taste of wave-riding experience.
• Surf School: Professionally taught lessons and clinics for first-timers to aspiring pros.
• Mexican Restaurant: With tables located in perfect view of the surf.
• Ron Jon SurfparkSM Pro Shop: Will offer a selection of surfing gear and apparel found in the Ron Jon Surf Shop stores.
• Surfing Demos: Regularly scheduled exhibitions of surfing’s top talent.
• Equipment Rentals: Try surfing gear in perfect conditions before you buy.Get Involved Now!Surfers are encouraged to visit www.surfparks.com, where a limited number of memberships to the Ron Jon SurfparkSM, Orlando can be reserved with no obligation or deposit required. Website visitors can also learn much more about Surfparks’ technology, mission, and team, and get a chance to win one of fifty free Surfpark sessions by filling out the Surfparks Survey.###For More Information:Surfparks LLC: Jamie Meiselman, email@example.com, www.surfparks.com
Ron Jon Surf Shop: Heather Lewis, (321) 799-8880, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ronjons.com
Cory and Shea Lopez: Lopez Management Team, www.lopezbrothers.com