HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA (October 16) — With only two events remaining on the 15-event Foster’s Pro Surfing Tour schedule for 2002, Hawaii’s Jesse Merle Jones and Australia’s Pauline Menczer are leading a stellar international field of competitors chasing the Foster’s crown.
The Foster’s Pro Surfing Tour serves as America’s World Qualifying Series for the Association of Surfing Professionals, the only path for surfers aspiring to the World Championship Tour. This year, the Foster’s Tour features over $410,000 in prize money plus the new year-end bonuses — the Men’s Tour winner will receive an extra $10,000 and the Women’s champ will take home an extra $3000 in cash.
Following last weekend’s Squalo Mexican Surf Fiesta at San Miguel, Hawaii’s Jesse Merle-Jones holds the men’s lead, but must fend off the wills of fellow Hawaiian Kalani Robb and rising star Dane Reynolds of California. In the ladies’ race, former World Champ Pauline Menczer is out in front of Aussie Trudy Todd and California’s Julia Christian in the dash to the wire.
The final two events on the 2003 tour are the O’Neill Cold Water Classic at Santa’s Cruz’s Steamer Lane October 24-27 and the season-ending Globe/Gallaz Pro at Oceanside Pier November 6-10. The Foster’s Tour Champs will be crowned on the beach following the conclusion of the Globe/Gallaz Pro on the afternoon of November 10.
With a developing Pacific winter storm pattern expected to drive significant swell activity toward the California coast for some time to come, next week’s O’Neill Cold Water Classic is expected to live up to its name with big performances in the water and every evening at a string of Foster’s Night functions.
FOSTER’S PRO SURFING TOUR RATINGS – MEN
1. Jesse Merle-Jones Hawaii 2861
2. Kalani Robb Hawaii 2500
3. Dane Johnson California 2318
4. Dean Randazzo New Jersey 2245
5. Trent Munro Australia 2150
6. Jeff Deffenbaugh California 2108
7. Asher Nolan California 2053
8. Magnum Martinez Venezuela 1995
9. CJ Hobgood Florida 1888
10. Ryan Simmons California 1882
FOSTER’S PRO SURFING TOUR RATINGS – WOMEN
1. Pauline Menczer Australia 2500
2. Trudy Todd Australia 2150
3. Julia Christian California 2136
4. Prue Jeffries Australia 1990
5. Melanie Bartels Hawaii 1918
6. Sofia Mulanovich Peru 1825
7. Jacqueline Silva Brazil 1675
8. Megan Abubo Hawaii 1525
9. Jenny Boggis Australia 1500
10. Falina Spires Florida 1465