Big Wave Contests
The Time Has Come…For Some
While many big wave contests are on hold and waiting for the right swell direction, size and winds to give them what they want, the Association of Professional Towsurfers are ready to go. The outer reefs Avalanche and Puena Point, Oahu Hawaii, have seen a good sized stormy swell that’s looking to clean up in the next day or so and contest directors have called the contest to action.
The Bay Still Hasn’t Called!
December 1-February 28
The Quiksilver Big Wave Invitational in Memory of Eddie Aikau is still waiting for the “bay to call the day, however, with two weeks left inside their waiting period, there is still time for the make to pick up the phone.
Close But No Cigar
January 1-March 31
The Maverick’s Surf Contest Presented by Ask.com is eyeing a good sized swell approaching but may not be able to muster the kind of surf Jeff Clark and the big wave chargers are looking for.
Billabong Pro Junior – Coffs Harbour
ASP Grade 1 Mens and Womens Pro Junior
Macauley’s Headland, Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Jim Beam Surftag Queensland Qualifier
Duranbah Beach, Queensland Australia
WSA Hobie Championship Tour Heads to Topanga Point
The Western Surfing Association is heading to Topanga Point, Topanga Beach, for the eighth stop on the WSA Hobie Championship Tour. All 17 and under divisions are on Saturday and all 18 and over and open divisions will be held on Sunday.
Go to Active.com to register.
Lavafish, Canary Islands
Art and Science
6th Annual Surfing Arts, Science and Issues Conference Show is Focused on: Surfing Dynamics: New Surfboards, New Surf Spots, and a New Spirit
The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California presents in the Sumner Auditorium at 8 am to 5 pm on Saturday – Scripps Pier 8 am to noon on Sunday, the 6th Annual Surfing Arts, Science and Issues Conference.
5th Annual Huntington Beach Surf Theatre is calling for film submissions for this years film festival. A diverse panel of surf film experts, journalists and Hollywood producers will judge the films based on the following criteria:
1. Film has been completed between Aug 1st, 2006 and July 1st 2007
2. Best Corpo Award: This will be a “Perpetual Trophy for the ultimate bragging rights. The film is funded by a major surf brand
3. Best Independent Film: 80% of funding must come from sources other than the above.
4. Most Innovative: this is a very open category that is the at discretion of the judges, it may apply to editing, performance, music, style, format or any other creative outlet which makes a film stand out from the others.
5. Hot Grom Short: this is for all those groms who film their friends and create a homemade video. Must be under 18 years old and the film can be no longer than 15 minutes long.
Submissions must be made before June 1. Go to www.bigredprod.com for more information.