2015 SLS Nike SB World Tour Continues With Stop Two In Newark
NEWARK, NJ (AUGUST 11, 2015) — Returning to the Prudential Center on the doorstep of New York City for the fifth consecutive year, the 2015 Street League Skateboarding (SLS) Nike SB World Tour will present all 25 SLS Pros to local fans for Stop Two of the tour, where previously only the Top Eight have been present for the season finale in New Jersey. Adding to the competitive tension of a full roster, this next Stop in Newark offers the last-remaining express Golden Ticket and shortlists the Final Eight athletes that will move ahead to the street skateboarding's official world championship as sanctioned by the International Skateboarding Federation (ISF): the SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship, being held on October 4 in Chicago, IL.
The 2015 SLS Nike SB World Tour arena season kicked off in Los Angeles, following the pre- season Qualifiers, Tampa Pro and the SLS Nike SB Pro Open, the latter being held in Barcelona this year. With FOX Sports 1 televising a sold-out USC Galen Center arena yet again and setting record viewership ratings, it all came down to the last trick with Nike SB's Luan Oliveira stomping an absolutely perfect Switch Frontside Bigspin Heelflip off the launch ramp to take his first $100,000 SLS win just 0.2 points ahead of the 2014 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Champion Nyjah Huston, closely followed by Chaz Ortiz in third place.
Heading the Season leaderboard as top ten coming into Stop Two are Nyjah Huston, Chaz Ortiz, Luan Oliveira, Kelvin Hoefler, Cody McEntire, Chris Cole, Evan Smith, Tom Asta, Shane O’Neill and Ryan Decenzo. Increasing the pressure as the last event before the SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship is the fact that two of the Final Eight places have already been claimed by Nyjah Huston and Luan Oliveira, each respectively having taken the win and accompanying Golden Ticket at the SLS Nike SB Pro Open in Barcelona and the SLS Nike SB World Tour: Stop One. Despite the lowest season event score being dropped immediately after Stop Two in order to solidify the elite Top Eight, this next "shortlist showdown" event ensures an all-or-nothing standard for many of the SLS athletes. Stop Two will be their only chance at continuing this season, and for some Pros, they need an outright win to move on according to the current Standings. Stop Two is make or break for SLS Pros to continue thru to the official ISF street skateboarding world championship.
Top stories leading into Stop Two are:
- Chaz Ortiz's reliably strong performances and subsequent Season Standings already show him as a shoe-in for the SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship – could it finally be his year to take the crown?
- Although legendary Nike SB Pro Paul Rodriguez didn't compete in Tampa Pro pre-season North American Qualifier, history shows that Rodriguez is favored to put down a strong performance in Stop Two to find a seat in the World Championship as he has for every year since the League's inception.
- In their first SLS season and up against the world's best street skateboarders, Rookies Kelvin Hoefler, Cody McEntire and Evan Smith are currently standing in the Top 10 respectively; is this shake up with new blood in the top standings a sign of what's in store for the rest of the season and the League roster?
- 2013 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Champion Chris Cole is currently in a qualifying position at 6th and looking to redeem himself by making it to the Championship that he missed in 2014.
- On the bubble, and worth keeping a sharp eye on, are Tom Asta and Shane O'Neill. Both are currently in a qualifying position and have what it takes to move up the Leader Board, most especially given a weaker performance from fellow SLS Pros.
- Although at the bottom of the Leader Board, Ryan Decenzo doesn't need an outright win to make it into the Nike SB Super Crown World Championship, but only a 2nd place given a sufficient lead against fellow contenders.
- Since the new competition format implemented last year, both Matt Berger and New Jersey native Ishod Wair have notched Top-Two finishes, albeit during qualifying rounds. With so much at stake in Newark, will they bust out a big surprise?Watch Stop Two of the SLS Nike SB World Tour in Newark unfold live on FOX Sports 1 on August 23 at 4:30 PM ET.Street League Skateboarding offers options for fans across the world to tune in and watch skateboarding's most prestigious competition series. Fans in the United States can watch the 2015 SLS Nike SB World Tour on FOX Sports 1 and customers of participating cable and satellite
TV providers may access the live stream of the Tour stops through the FOX Sports GO app for iOS, Android, Windows and Kindle devices, as well as on desktops through FOXSportsGO.com. International fans can catch the official live webcast exclusively on StreetLeague.com.SLS NIKE SB WORLD TOUR DATES AND VENUES:
• August 23 2015 SLS Nike SB World Tour: Stop Two | Prudential Center | Newark, NJ
• October 4 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship | UIC Pavilion | Chicago, ILFOX SPORTS 1 TELECAST SCHEDULE:
2015 SLS Nike SB World Tour: New Jersey: LIVE: Sunday, August 23 (4:30 PM ET – 6:30 PM ET) 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship: LIVE: Sunday, October 4 (5 PM ET – 7 PM ET)
About Street League Skateboarding
Street League Skateboarding (SLS) is the first-ever professional league for street skateboarding. SLS features 25 of the world's most exciting skateboarders competing in an easy-to-follow, ISX instant scoring format on one-of-a-kind concrete skate plazas, all for the largest prize purse in skateboarding history. Each arena stop of the 2015 SLS season will air live on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports GO with a live international webcast on Streetleague.com. For more information, visit www.streetleague.com and follow @streetleague.
About Nike SB
Nike SB is dedicated to serving skateboarders, delivering product innovation and creating new consumer experiences. Since 2001, Nike SB has supported a diverse team of inspirational professional skaters and upcoming amateurs who continue to meet the demands of a constantly evolving sport. With influence in all corners of the world, Nike SB is uniquely suited to bring skateboarding to new audiences and grows the sport globally. Based at Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon, Nike SB is obsessed with finding new ways to support the skateboarder by championing innovation and individuality. For more information, visit nike.com and follow @NikeSB
About FOX Sports
FOX Sports is the umbrella entity representing 21st Century FOX's wide array of multi-platform US-based sports assets. Built with brands capable of reaching more than 100 million viewers in a single weekend, FOX Sports includes ownership and interests in linear television networks, digital and mobile programming, broadband platforms, multiple web sites, joint- venture businesses and several licensing partnerships. FOX Sports includes the sports television arm of the FOX Broadcasting Company; FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2; FOX Sports Regional Networks, their affiliated regional web sites and national programming; FOX Soccer Plus; FOX Deportes and FOX College Sports. In addition, FOX Sports also encompasses FOX Sports Digital, which includes FOXSports.com, FOX Sports GO, Whatifsports.com and Yardbarker.com. Also included in the Group are FOX's interests in joint-venture businesses Big Ten Network and BTN 2Go, as well as a licensing agreement that establish the FOX Sports Radio Network.