ASSOCIATION OF SURFING PROFESSIONALS (ASP) INTERNATIONAL
Foster’s ASP World Champion’s Crowning
Conrad Jupiter’s Casino
Broadbeach, QLD, Australia
February 24, 2007
COOLANGATTA, Australia (Friday, Feb. 23, 2007) — It’s a safe bet that persons patronizing Conrad Jupiters Casino on the Gold Coast of Australia Saturday night, Feb. 24, will be rubbing shoulders with surf royalty.
Kelly Slater (USA) and Layne Beachley (AUS) will be among those stepping out of extra slick Aston Martin vehicles and straight onto the red carpet to attend the 25th Annual Foster’s ASP World Champion’s Crowning.
Recognized as the “surfers’ night, the 600-person gala affair is organized to honour the achievements of ASP athletes each year and, in this instance, their 2006 performances.
Held just prior to the launch of the 2007 Foster’s ASP and ASP Women’s World Tours at Snapper Rocks, the World Champion’s Crowning will acknowledge a bevy of accomplishments by surfers of all disciplines.
Headlining the evening’s festivities will be the official crowning of eight-time Foster’s ASP World Champion Kelly Slater and seven-time ASP Women’s World Champion Layne Beachley.
Rewriting the record books yet again, both athletes continue to indisputably illustrate that they are the greatest surfers of all time.
“To win seven and eight world titles in any discipline is an amazing feat, so to have athletes of this calibre with careers as long and decorated as Kelly and Layne’s is a testament to our sport, said ASP CEO Brodie Carr. “The fact that they are both revved up to go back on tour and do again this year is even better!
The Foster’s ASP World Champion’s Crowning Honourees on Saturday Evening will include:
• Foster’s ASP World Tour Champion — Kelly Slater (AUS)
• Foster’s ASP World Tour Runner Up — Andy Irons (HAW)
• ASP Women’s World Tour Champion — Layne Beachley (AUS)
• ASP Women’s World Tour Runner-Up — Melanie Redman Carr (AUS)
• ASP Men’s World Junior Champion — Jordy Smith (ZAF)
• ASP Women’s World Junior Champion — Nicola Atherton (AUS)
• Foster’s ASP World Tour Rookie of the Year — Bobby Martinez (USA)
• ASP Women’s World Tour Rookie of the Year — Jessi Miley-Dyer (AUS)
• ASP Men’s World Longboard Champion — Josh Constable (AUS)
• ASP Women’s World Longboard Champion — Schuyler McFerran (USA)
• ASP World Qualifying Series #1 Ranked Man — Jeremy Flores (FRA)
• ASP World Qualifying Series #1 Ranked Woman — Jessi Miley-Dyer (AUS)
Following the event, 20 of the top surfers will compete for a $5000 donation to their nominated charity in the Conrad Jupiter’s ASP World Champions Poker Showdown.