Mick Fanning will return to site of shark attack

New colours for my signature @creaturesofleisure you like??

A photo posted by Mick Fanning (@mfanno) on

Surfer Mick Fanning announced Thursday that he’ll return to the competition in South Africa where he was attacked by a shark last year.

He will return to Jeffreys Bay to compete in July, following the World Surf League’s competition in Fiji in June, he said.

“I’m going to compete. I’m going to Fiji at the start of next month and then go on to J-Bay,” he told Mashable. “It is just a place that I have so many amazing memories there. I just feel it’s a place where I want to right the wrongs.”

It will mark a year since he was attacked by a shark during the contest which was broadcast live. It was the first time someone had been attacked by a shark in a contest and luckily, Fanning was unharmed.

He has been taking the majority of the 2016 season off.

During his downtime, he has launched a brewing company with surfers Bede Durbidge, Josh Kerr and Joel Parkinson.

The Fiji Pro begins June 5, depending on conditions.

More from GrindTV

Laird Hamilton shares tips on healthy living

Actor Adrian Grenier pens essay on plastic polluting the oceans

Watch Ford's self-driving car drive in total darkness with no headlights