March 7, 2008 : – – Aliso Viejo, Ca – SIMA is proud to announce the lineup of speakers and that registration is now open for Surf Summit 11, to be held May 14 – 17 in Los Cabos, Mexico. The annual tradition of uniting the surf industry tribe is now being taken to a whole new level in 2008, with a new venue and even more inspiring speakers.
The deadline for registration is Friday, March 28, 2008. Space is limited and on a first-come-first serve basis, with first priority given to SIMA members. Non-members registration is by invitation only. “The speakers we have chosen to join us in Cabo are among the elite and will be speaking on topics that are aligned with the creative vibe of the surf industry,” said Dick Baker, SIMA president.
“I am especially stoked for one of our own, Bob Hurley, to address our industry and give the keynote address for the event. In addition to the great lineup of speakers, with the new first-class venue and better food, we believe attendees will agree that Surf Summit continues to improve each year.”
After five years of being held at the same hotel venue, SIMA has decided to up the ante and move to the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar Resort & Spa. Get a first hand look at SheratonLosCabos.com. The hotel is located only twenty minutes from the popular surf breaks, ten minutes from downtown Cabo San Lucas, and thirty minutes away from the Los Cabos international airport (SJD).
The Surf Summit experience will continue to offer three package levels, all of which include all food and beverages for the four-day, three-night conference. In addition for this year, the new host hotel features higher quality meals with more restaurants, nicer guest rooms and facilities, better meeting spaces and AV capabilities, multiple pools overlooking the ocean, swimming in the hotel oceanfront, and Cabo del Sol’s Jack Nicklaus signature Ocean Golf Course known as the “Pebble Beach” of Baja.
“I really think everyone is going to feel the dramatic difference in accommodations and appreciate how well it suits our needs,” comments Baker. “Having a great venue allows us to concentrate on the real purpose of Surf Summit – to educate while providing a once a year time to relax, enjoy the people, and experience the fun of uniting our unique tribe.”
As of press time, the scheduled Surf Summit 11 seminars and speakers will include:
• Bob Hurley / CEO, Hurley International – Keynote address
• Brad Gerlach / Professional Big-Wave Surfer – In a visually stunning 40-minute presentation, Brad uses his big-wave surfing exploits – both good and bad – to teach the importance of preparation, teamwork and overcoming fears, and how this relates to your approach to business.
• Tony Hsieh / CEO, Zappos.com – Learn how to build a customer-focused culture from one of the fastest-growing private companies in the U.S.
• Kevin Carroll / One of the Masterminds Behind the Livestrong Bracelet Campaign – Kevin uses his masterful story-telling skills to communicate his vast and varied experiences to entertain, enlighten and challenge business leaders and world wide audiences. Using lessons garnered from the spirit and dynamics of play, Carroll helps them understand how to enliven and enrich their work lives, enhance innovation, and improve team dynamics and interpersonal communication.
• Sir Ken Robinson / Renowned Speaker and Author of Out of Our Minds: Learning to Be Creative – Robinson shares insight on the creative challenges facing businesses in the new global economy, as well as the different ways creativity is undervalued in Western culture.
• Matt Mason / Author, The Pirate’s Dilemma: How Youth Culture Reinvented Capitalism – An expert on youth culture, business and media, Matt Mason will discuss the problems and opportunities created by the rise of piracy and the potential of piracy as a business model. Learn how pirates create marrkets, signal trends, and develop innovative ways to reach their markets.
• Jim Moriarty / CEO, Surfrider Foundation – Jim will discuss next steps in the fight to save Trestles, other ‘Trestles’ situations out there that need our attention, as well as the importance, power and value of the surf industry uniting as one for important causes.
Registration materials, including package pricing, were mailed the week of March 3, 2008. You will also find the registration packet and member registration form in a digital format attached. For more information, please contact Shannon Park, SIMA Event Coordinator at Shannon@sima.com or 949.366.1164 x2.