Published annually by The Outdoor Foundation, the 2011 Outdoor Recreation Participation Top-line Report 2011 is derived from 40,000 online interviews conducted in January 2011/early February 2011. Respondents came from a nationwide sample of individuals and households from the U.S. Online Panel operated by Synovate. A total of 15,086 individual and 23,656 household surveys were completed. The total panel has over 1 million members and is maintained to be representative of the U.S. population. Over-sampling of ethnic groups took place to boost response from typically under-responding groups.
Here are some notable points:
- BMX was the second fastest growing sport in youth participation, increasing 48.8 percent
- Growth of participation in more expensive outdoor activities, such as Skiing (Freestyle), up 23.6 percent and Skiing (Telemark), up 22.9 percent
- Bicycling (Road, Mountain and BMX) was the 4th most popular adult outdoor activity for adults over the age of 25 by participation rate with a reported 24.6 million participants
- Bicycling (Road, Mountain and BMX), Skateboarding and Surfing were the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th respective favorites for youth (ages 6- 24) outdoor activities
- African-Americans, Asian/Pacific Islanders and Hispanics now make up 30 percent of outdoor participants, up five percentage points since 2007
- Nearly half of Americans ages 6 and older, or 137.9 million individuals, participated in at least one outdoor activity in 2010, making 10.1 billion outdoor outings
You can check out the 10-page Top-line report for free at outdoorfoundation.org. The Outdoor Foundation will publish the full version of the report with far greater detail this summer.
About The Outdoor Foundation
The Outdoor Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to inspiring and growing future generations of outdoor enthusiasts. Through ground-breaking research, action-oriented convening and outreach and education programs, The Foundation is working with partners to mobilize a major cultural shift that leads all Americans to the great outdoors. Learn more about The Foundation at outdoorfoundation.org, email at email@example.com or call 202.271.3252.